Mother Hen Necklace
When it comes to maternal love, mother hens are hard to beat. At the first sign of danger, they gather their chicks under their wings, to shield them from the rain, or protect them from predators. A mother hen would rather die saving her babies from harm than fly away. There's a reason why we call nurturing people 'Mother Hen', but sadly many of us have forgotten the phrase's origin. This beautifully detailed Mother Hen necklace was inspired by the hen's admirable qualities, to encourage people to reframe how they see chickens and take a second look.
Rather than associating chickens solely with egg laying, or worse still, with being cowardly, fearful, or stupid, this piece reminds us that these amazing birds are the exact opposite of those things: brave, noble, and dedicated to their families. Lift up the hen charm and you'll find an adorable surprise under her wings, up to three mini chicks snuggled in safely. You can choose how many chicks you want, to reflect your own family, and each beautifully hand-carved chick is suspended by an ultra delicate fine chain, so you'll never lose them.
Every hen pendant is made to order at our seaside studio. Take a closer look and you’ll be amazed at the detail - dozens of tiny individual feathers covering the plump little hen’s wings and tail, a miniature crest, alert eyes, and a cute little beak. So realistic and tactile, this hen and chick necklace comes with a recycled silver hen pendant and gold chick charms. Or if you prefer, we can make you an entirely gold hen necklace, or an all silver chicken necklace if that’s what you’d prefer.
The perfect hen gift for all the caregivers out there; whether they're a devoted Mum of human, or animal babies, or that wonderful friend who loves looking after your group. And if you start with one chick and then your family grows, just send it back to us and we'll add in a new chick, no stress, no fuss. Just one of the many benefits of buying hen jewellery made by hand, rather than something mass-manufactured.
- Handcrafted in the UK
- Available in 925 Sterling Silver, 9ct or 18ct solid gold and platinum *
- The silver sloth comes with black stripes across his eyes
- The mother hen measures 20 x 17 x 15 mm, the baby chicks measure 7 x 5 x 5mm
- The mother hen can be engraved with up to 3 characters (£15) - we will polish the texture of the bottom end of the chicken to make space for the engraving
- The chain fastens with a 5mm spring ring
- Comes with a 1.6mm trace chain, adjustable to either 16/18 inches (41/46 cm) or 20/22 inches (52/57cm) length