Out of Africa Collection
This adorable hand-carved tortoise necklace is the perfect wearable reminder that slow and steady wins the race. We created the tortoise in our seaside studio and he/she is positively jam packed with lifelike features to love. An intricate shell, complete with tiny scutes (the mini hexagon-like scales you’ll see on tortoise shell), an enquiring little face, and even a teensy tail – no detail is too small.
Every piece of our jewellery tells a story, and this tortoise pendant was inspired by Michael Ende’s children’s novel Momo and the character of Cassiopeia, a mystic tortoise who communicates by writing on her shell. We can’t promise the necklace can do that, but it’s a pretty gorgeous wearable reminder of some of the key messages from the book: try not to race through life, and delight in today, rather than worrying about what you need to do tomorrow.
As with all our jewellery, this pretty piece of tortoise jewellery is available in your choice of sterling silver, 9 or 18ct yellow, rose or white gold, or even platinum. Like your jewellery to be eco-friendly? Us too, which is why all our pieces are crafted from 100 % recycled gold and silver. So you can be certain that whether you choose a gold, or silver tortoise necklace, it will be handmade from sustainable materials.
Did you know that tortoises were sent to space on one of the first Russian missions? They all survived! They can smell through their throats and a group of tortoises is called a creep. You won’t see a ‘creep’ very often, because tortoises are super solitary creatures, who prefer to hang out alone. Another reason this solo tortoise pendant is especially realistic!
- Handcrafted in the UK
- Available in 925 Sterling Silver, 9ct or 18ct solid gold and platinum *
- The tortoise pendant measures 10 x 17mm
- Can be engraved with up to 3 characters on the tortoise's belly - please bear in mind that we have to polish out the detail to make space for the engraving (£15 engraving charge)
- Hand polished to a high shine
- The chain fastens with a 5mm spring ring
- Comes with a 1.2mm trace chain, adjustable to either 16/18 inches (41/46 cm) or 20/22 inches (52/57cm) length